Monday, June 27, 2005

Progress on our back room:
What a difference a roof can make on a room! The dehumidfier that a recovery company had in there certainly dried out the air. But after they got done "packing out" the room, they came the next day and took the dehumidfier. Now with the new roof on, the room is air tight - well at least 99% so. There are some 'leaks' but the flashing still needs to be put on. It's amazing what a difference it makes. Now we have a situation of no air flow which in turn can present its own set of problems. We have been leaving the doors into the back room open to help balance the air and get some airflow. I had a fan promised, but it hasn't shown up yet. Painters came today and have gotten all the old paint scraped off. Some of it was so bad I think you could have blown on it and it would have fallen off. The company that removed the contents had already sprayed with germocide and fungacide (which I didn't know till today). So at least now the painters won't have to.
I'm learning alot about 'disaster recovery'. One thing is that I am sometimes kept in the dark of what's going on. So today, I met with our maintenance dept. head and got some information. It was good because he needed information from me as well which he didn't realize he needed. (I still don't have a complete timeline of what the companies plan to do and when.) Between that and other things going on in my professional life, I am reminded once again the importance of communication, something we tend to forget to do. Painters will return tomorrow and put on a sealer (something like Kilz) and primer. By Wed. the room will probably be painted. I have carpet samples coming tomorrow to pick out.
As for my end, I have been spending a good part of the day trying to find companies on line that can provide back issues of periodicals and what they would cost. Last week I started researching other items that were tossed and looking up what they would cost to replace. I suspect we will end up not having our own periodicals treated for the mold - at least not the most of them. It is more expensive to treat them than it is to replace them, if you can find replacements. I am finding a harder time finding replacements for religious periodicals, especially those from specific organizations. In fact there doesn't seem to be too many "backorder" companies out there to begin with. Well, the saga will continue. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

No comments: