Thursday, September 28, 2006

John W. Peterson

In case you haven't heard, beloved writer and composer, John W. Peterson, has moved into his 'mansion, just over the hilltop.' He will be missed by thousands (or more) of us who grew up with his music. His music was of "our generation" in the realm of Christian music for so many of us.

His obituary was sent to me and is as follows: Gospel composer John W. Peterson went home to be with the Lord on September 20, 2006, at the age of 84. He passed into eternity very peacefully at his home in Scottsdale, Arizona, surrounded by his family. He was born in Lindsborg, Kansas, on November 1, 1921, and began his musical career while still in his teens. During World War II, he served as an Army Air Force pilot flying the famed “China Hump” and received an Air Medal Award. After the war, he attended Moody Bible Institute and went on to graduate from the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. While in Chicago, he was on staff at radio station WMBI and was responsible for several weekly programs. Shortly thereafter, John and his family settled in Montrose, Pennsylvania, where he continued his songwriting career while working as Music Editor at Singspiration, a sacred music publishing company. When the company was acquired by Zondervan Publishing House, he relocated his family to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he was President and Editor-in-Chief of Singspiration for over ten years. Then after moving to Scottsdale, he co-founded Good Life Productions and a few years later established the John W. Peterson Music Company. He served on several boards, including Gospel Films (now Gospel Communications) and Family Life Radio Network. He was a member of Scottsdale Bible Church for the past 34 years and had been very active as a board member and Enrichment Class teacher.

His music has been loved and sung around the world. He has composed over 1,000 individual songs, including “It Took a Miracle,” “Over the Sunset Mountains,” and “Heaven Came Down.” In addition, he has written 35 cantatas and musicals, such as “Night of Miracles,” “No Greater Love,” “Carol of Christmas” and “Love Transcending.” As a composer, he was a long-time member of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.

Throughout his life he received numerous honors and awards, some of which include: Sacred Music Award from the National Evangelical Film Foundation, International Composer of the Year from SESAC, The Music Achievement Award from Christian Artists, The Ray DeVries Church Music Award, Doctor of Sacred Music from John Brown University, Doctor of Divinity from Western Conservative Baptist Seminary, and Doctor of Fine Arts from Grand Canyon University. In 1977, his autobiography, “The Miracle Goes On,” was published by Zondervan Publishing House, and a film by the same title was released by Gospel Films. In 1986, he was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.


There will be a Memorial Tribute service on Friday, October 6 at 2:00 pm, Scottsdale Bible Church; 7601 E. Shea Boulevard; Scottsdale, AZ.

**********

I am not usually that emotionally touched by people on the 'public stage of life.' But I did have a few encounters with John Peterson myself. His brother was my pastor for a while when I was a teenager. I was also one of many choir members he came to Birmingham, Alabama to direct in a cantata when he had an allergic reaction to aspirin, was rushed to a hospital and nearly died. Also his nephew married a High School classmate of mine.

My all time favorite cantata is still "Night of Miracles." I could probably sing it all from memory, but most people don't want to hear me sing... Phrases and storylines from the Christmas story still trigger to this day lines from the cantata. He will be greatly missed - especially by those over the age of 50, I suspect! My prayers and sympathy go to his wife and family. Our loss is definitely heaven's gain!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grand Rapids School of the Bible and Music used to produce cantata performances of Peterson's No Greater Love nationally, by enlisting churches in certain areas to have mass choirs (mass practices) to help the production. What a thrill for me as a 10 year old boy in 1972 to travel to Cherry Hill, NJ Centrum, and see Dr. Peterson conduct his cantata, and similarly experience this in 1973 at Philadelphia Civic Center and then again in 1979 at Philadelphia Academy of Music. I'd always get goose bumps.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of his cantata which contained the song "Where is He?
our choir would love to sing it if you can find a copy available anywhere.

Anonymous said...

I've just belatedly learned of the passing of this favorite compsoer of mine. Have sung many of his songs and cantatas over the years.

Sometime in the mid-1990s, on one of our drives home from visiting with son's family in Iowa we made our usual overnight stop at the Red Roof Inn off I-80 in Danville, PA. Tuned the clock radio to the local Christian radio station (on both AM and FM) before retiring. Awoke the next morning to a male duet rendition of a song I had not heard for a long time:

"There's a new song in my heart, since the Savior set me free / There's a new song in my heart, with a heavenly harmony / All my sins are washed away, on the Cross of Calvary / Oh, what peace and joy / nothing can alloy / There's a new song in my heart." (I always thought "nothing can alloy" very clever.)

That song stayed with me the rest of the way home!

Researching the tune after we got home I learned that it was one of Peterson's songs. I sent him a note of appreciation to his music firm address in Scottsdale, AZ. It resulted in a delightful correspondence.

Peter Kushkowski
Portland, CT

Anonymous said...

Today, as I returned home from hunting, I heard on the Bible Broadcasting Network a song, "The Birthday of a King" and thought of the several cantatas by John Peterson in which I had participated as a teenager. In particular, "Night of Miracles" and "Love Transcending" stand out in my mind. Then there is "It Took A Miracle," which marked my first public musical performance, singing it as a duet with my younger brother at 12 years of age. All of these hold a special place in my heart, for the music as well as for the texts. I know that John W. Peterson's music has blessed me immeasureably, and am sure that countless others have benefited spiritually from his application of the talents God bestowed upon him. Physically, Peterson is gone from us now, but what a legacy he leaves!

penguinn said...

re:"Where is He?
This is just a guess, but I would contact his publishing firm in AZ. I would guess they either have copies or possibly tell you where you could find one.
John W. Peterson Music Company
6501 E. Greenway Parkway Suite 102,
#435 Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2065

penguinn said...

carlaswan - check out this website:
http://newhopemusic.com/FCSongwriters/FCSJohnWPeterson.htm

黃康元 David Hwang said...

Thank you sharing the life of John Peterson. Glad to learn John is from Kansas, where I attended schools. Over the years, either as a chior director/soloist in Taipei or in the States I was privileged to participate in several of his cantatas. This Christmas, as we are gearing up to rehearse for "Love Transcending" at our church in West Hartford, Connecticut, it is particular poignant to learn from your blog that John is no longer with us. But we can all take comfort that our brother's death was precious in the sight of the Lord and was very quickly followed by his reward, that he is now enjoying Glory; and that his faith has been rewarded by clear vision, his hope by possession, and his budding charity by a consummate love.

黃康元 David Hwang said...

Thank you sharing the life of John Peterson. Glad to learn John is from Kansas, where I attended schools. Over the years, either as a chior director/soloist in Taipei or in the States I was privileged to participate in several of his cantatas. This Christmas, as we are gearing up to rehearse for "Love Transcending" at our church in West Hartford, Connecticut, it is particular poignant to learn from your blog that John is no longer with us. But we can all take comfort that our brother's death was precious in the sight of the Lord and was very quickly followed by his reward, that he is now enjoying Glory; and that his faith has been rewarded by clear vision, his hope by possession, and his budding charity by a consummate love.

Anonymous said...

Shalom mrs. Guinn~!!!

I am very glad to see your article about great "John W. Peterson" today.
I am also one of his big, big fans.

Last year, I translated and published your favorite(*and also my favorite) his cantata "Night of Miracles" in my country Seoul, Korea and now also i am translating his resurrection cantata "The Last Week". That is really his, musically and spiritually in GOD, best cantata of his 35 cantatas.
And since 1980, I directed his 16 cantatas till now; "The Last Week", "Night of Miracles", "It Took a Miracle(Easter)", "So Send I You", "Jesus Is Coming", "Born a King", "No Greater Love", "Carol of Christmas", "King of Kings", "Down from His Glory", "Christ Is Born", "Christmas Is Love", "Hallelujah! What a Savior!", "He’s Living Today", "Love Transcending", "That Glorious Night". Those are all great moments to me and my choirs.

Mrs. Guinn, we are missing him very, very much, aren't we?

Shalom to you and your family...

GEM said...

I am looking for the contata "No Greater Love" The SABT version # is 5977 and the Brass ensemble # is 5695E. Does anyone know where I can find these reasonably to purchase for our church. I have 1!!!!!! GEM gem356@netpenny.net

penguinn said...

Did you see the address posted earlier: John W. Peterson Music Company
6501 E. Greenway Parkway Suite 102,
#435 Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2065 You might be able to find what you want here.
(Sorry this is so belatedly posted. I was just going over this blog tonight, which I haven't in a while.)