Monday, September 24, 2007

Embedded teaching

Today I taught the second section of the English class about our online catalog. I really enjoyed it. I hope the students weren't totally bored. Although I did try to involve them as much as possible and as much as I know how - given I really have had no teacher training, well not for this setting anyhow. This is a lot different than teaching children in Sunday School! I like the idea of having the class in two sections. The only problem is the first section probably doesn't get the level of quality the second section does. The first ones are the guinea pigs. The second group gets the improved edition! Next time around we will be learning about databases - but that is next month.

For now, I'll go back to my ordering supplies, training new help, going to or holding meetings, watching the budget, answering questions, overseeing acquisitions and cataloging, freshmen orientation, and getting pictures painted on the office walls - yea, you know, some of that really stressful stuff! - Like tomorrow - a birthday party at our student workers' meeting. But somebody's got to do it. I've got a couple weeks yet to worry about the next English class opportunity.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So are you actually participating in their online class? I'd love to hear more about this!

penguinn said...

no - they came to the library and I taught them about our online catalog. Guess I better go back and look at how I worded that. :-)