Wednesday, October 17, 2007

embedded teaching

Well Monday was the last day of my embedded teaching for this semester. I think it went well in a way for my first time - as far as the pedagogy part went. The first class the students had an assignment to do and turn in. That seemed to go well. I am disappointed that some students didn't put forth much effort on such an easy assignment. I guess it was considered unimportant. hmph. How would they get a book if they don't know how to use the OPAC!

I'll admit that databases are a little more difficult to understand. Maybe I should just go straight to teaching the students how to use the databases and not bother with explaining the way they work. For that class I gave them a quiz. Without a couple of bonus questions, the majority of the class flunked the quiz. I required them to take notes and would specifically point out things they needed to take note of. I was disappointed to see such poor results on the quiz. So we'll see. I did ask the English teacher to also do an assessment of my teaching - since I am new at doing this and have not had formal training on how to teach! So we'll see. This year was definitely a guinea-pig experience.

No comments: