Thursday, November 15, 2007

My cataloger

Tomorrow is my cataloger's last day. She gave me her notice two weeks ago. I am not surprised at her leaving as she has finally another job that pays more than here. She did try at three other positions on campus and didn't get them. This one is off campus. She has been here just over 2 years. So now that I have her to the point of being a valuable employee, she is gone. Until my institution comes to the place of understanding the hard work, the learning curve and the value of the library staff, this is going to be a common place thing. We are shooting ourselves in the foot and the people that can change that do not understand. So now I have to go back to square one of finding, hiring and training yet another cataloger who is willing to accept what we pay, but do the job that we need to do. Where is that balance between stepping out in faith to trust the Lord to meet our needs (financially) and being fiscally responsible. Or is it that, in the name of being fiscally responsible, we are too tight with the money? If that is the case where is our faith? Are we not instructed to do our very best for the Lord? How can we when we are held back by others over us from doing so? I want to be a part of an organization that wants the very best, steps up to the plate to provide it and trust the Lord to do his part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathies are with you for several reasons:
1) catalogers are hard to find (at least GOOD catalogers);
2) seems like institutions such as ours are always fighting this battle and I feel like it will never end. I've been here for 25 years and it never changes!; and
3) I just lost my administrative assistant for the same reason. She found a job that has fewer hours, pays more, gives a big Christmas bonus (when was the last time you or I got a Christmas bonus?), and gets an extra 1/2 day off work each week. And it is another Christian organization!

Lori Thornton said...

You've been tagged on the page 161 meme: http://familyhistorian.blogspot.com/2007/11/page-161-meme.html