Friday, January 21, 2011

Reference Desk

.
Working the Reference Desk is a unique position in a library. Where our desk sits, you get to see everyone that walks in the library (except those who go in the children's library). If you ever like people-watching, this is the place to be. I sometimes wish I was a quick sketch artist. You see people from all walks of life, all ages, all cultures and levels of education and station in life.

Someone has said, 'decide what you love to do then figure out a way to make money doing it.' This reference position I now have offers me that very situation. I am the one that takes all the genealogy queries that come into the library - something that I love to do. When a query comes in, I'll go to town lots of times finding more than what folks had asked for finding extra news they often did not know. It's a lot of fun providing customer service in this way.

No comments: