Thursday, May 11, 2006

Next Day

When I was younger, i.e. college age, I noticed how fast the years seem to "fly by." Others commented that the older you get the faster time flies. I couldn't see how that would be possible. But you know what, they were right!

If you will notice my last post it was the end of December. We were just finishing our first semester. It seemed like we had just finished registration day and "now" it was christmas. I wrote that the next thing you know it will be graduation. Well guess what was last week?? Yup, Graduation.

I don't understand it. How is it that times goes so fast. (And some days drag, at the same time). There are times the clock does seem to drag but the calendar pages just fly.

We have graduated the largest class in nearly 20 years. It was a big weekend of celebrating. Another class has been unleashed upon the world. (I received my 5-year certificate, this past weekend, too. So now I have been here longer than the class that graduated. Guess that makes me an old timer - well, almost.)

"Speaking of age"
Our institution has a radio station. They recently took a survey of students and faculty/staff. Among other things they wanted to know were: what were some of my favorite artists. I told them if I told them my favorites they would know how old I am!!! Hmmmm...


"Hiring processes"
We are in the process of hiring someone for circulation supervisor. It has been an interesting process. I decided I needed to come up with some questions for an interview. (I have not done this before as I have not been a professional librarian myself for very long.) I googled sites that offered suggestions. I was surprised how many sites had suggested lists. It was a fairly specific search as I wanted questions that dealt with libraries, not something generic. I picked the sites I was interested in and printed out their questions. I read through them, talked to my assistant (who has been in management before.) I came up with my pick of about 20 questions. I had two ladies to interview and asked them the same questions. It was an interesting experience for me to see how their personalities would be revealed by how they answered and handled the questions. It was definitely worth my while. Here are the sites I used.
101 + Commonly Asked Interview Questions
School of Library and Information Science
Lisjobs.com - Library Careers
Interviewers' Favorite Questions...and Answers — Page 1
Illegal Interview Questions
This time I was much better prepared then I have been before. Maybe they will be of help to you.

No comments: