Sunday, June 22, 2008

job hunting

I have been seriously job hunting now since April, and watching even before that. I have applied to I-don't-know-how-many-jobs and have come up with nothing. There have been 3-4 really serious attempts to some positions I found, even spent some money on transcripts for one job. None of them have reaped anything - most of them didn't even bother to send a response they had received my application. A couple of positions got filled just as I was applying - day late and a dollar short.

Now I have, as of last week, been interviewed for a museum job. I would love to work in a museum and this would get my foot in the door. I probably would have a hard time getting a professional position unless I had some sort of history degree. If I could get into archival/preservation I may not, however.

After the above interview took place I learned of a professional position that will be open in a couple of months to which will be in the town we are moving. It will probably pay twice as much if not more than the museum job. So, what do I do??? take the fun job and get paid less, or the professional job and get paid more. I would really enjoy either one.

I thought I wanted the museum job - really bad; even called them twice about it. But that was when I didn't think there was any chance I would get a library position. If I turn down the museum position, there would be no guarentee that I would get the library one. So, it's "ifey". I"m not sure yet what I'll do. I'm hoping the Lord will take care of the delimma for me.

I'm not a perfect match for the museum job, but as I've said before, it would get my foot in the door. The other one I am perfectly suited for, but it isn't a shoe-in.

3 comments:

Andrew Clarke said...

This may be a bad time to ask you, since you have other priorities, but if you enjoy Christian fiction, may I suggest one for when you've got time? "Outcasts Of Skagaray" can be sampled if you read the excerpts on www.threeswans.com.au If you want to check my blog, it is http://threeswans.blogspot.com I said a quick prayer that God will lead you to the right job. Best wishes, whatever happens.

Linda Jones said...

Lori--
All the best in your search.

Richard Jennings said...

Unemployment stats are depressing but there are still many high paying jobs posted on employment sites i.e.

http://www.realmatch.com
http://www.monster.com
http://www.simplyhired.com

There still seems to be a strong demand for professional talent.