Thursday, June 29, 2006

Workdays, Birthdays, and Meetings

This summer our institution is doing something different to help offset the crunch of needing to do work on campus but no money to do it. Every Tuesday is a workday and folks in all departments pitch in to help where needed. As a reward, we get a cookout, about every 2 weeks and a free half day off after lunch! WOO-HOO! So this week ‘we-3’ ladies that are here during the morning hours worked in our ‘back room.’ We have a back room that used to be all storage. But due to a storm last year (see June 05 posts and following) we now have a refurbished room divided into a periodical room (60% of the original area) and storage room (about 40%). So, we were repacking, condensing and moving boxes out to the periodical room so we can re-arrange our new storage area. We are far from finished, but probably got about 1/3 of it done; maybe more. We could all ‘feel’ it the next day but it was a good feeling to get a lot accomplished.

Monday is the b’day of LL, our new circulation clerk. But in order to celebrate when the most people were here, we celebrated today at lunch. We signed and gave her a hand crafted card. I made her a purse out of a book cover (Voiceless Lips). It was purple with gold lettering so I used gold ribbon. For the material on the ends I found a nice piece that had books (I think) and clocks that included purple and gold in the colors. It looked pretty classy, if I do say so myself. They ARE fun to make and give.

This afternoon was the monthly meeting of our consortium council. I have been able to start going again. I don’t know when school starts what will happen – there seems to be conflicts during the school year. Our new courier service starts next week. I’m still not convinced we should be doing this. I think we are losing a lot to use a different service then what we were using. One reason given for going with SCS then KCM was: folks had been asked at conventions, etc. why we didn’t have our own courier service. We have had a metro-wide service in place that serves all the libraries in the area not just our own. They also offer workshops, and staff training with certificates. So now we are using SCS so we can say we have our own. But what I don’t understand is we are contracting the services of SCS, just as we were contracting the services of KCM. It still is not our courier service. We didn’t hire the drivers or buy the vans. We still have contacted with an outside vendor. ??? So what have we gained? Nothing. Doesn’t make sense to me. But this will be a pilot project that we are going to try. So we will just have to see how it turns out.

I had my annual evaluation last week. I hate giving them to my staff because I hate getting them. But I will have to say – it is rather painless here. It is a different process then I have ever seen. You evaluate yourself, filling out a form. Then you discuss points that are of interest to the supervisor. I am not one who can think ‘on my feet’. But this year I did ask for their opinion as to what their thoughts were regarding evaluating my work this past year. Fortunately it was favorable, and kind when talking of areas needing work on. So guess I’m good for another year. :-) A goal for next year? Less wordy reports!!! JC likes to get to the point!

This has nothing to do with libraries - but I'll have to tell about this!! My friend, BH has gotten me interested in "beading" - but I prefer to make my own beads from sculpy clay when I can. So we got together yesturday (28th) to 'bead.' BH made a panfull of beads, and put them in the oven to bake. I told her what temp and how long. When the timer went off she went in the kitchen to get them and they were all burnt black as can be!!!! She forgot that her stove temperature digital readout starts at 300. I had told her 275. So she bumped it up 75 more degrees, forgoting that she was starting at 300, not 200! So now she has a nice and varied set of black beads!!! We also learned that if you are out of black - doesn't matter. Make them in any color you want and just over bake them and you will have black. She had done some beautiful flowers with 3 leaves. Even black they were gorgeous. I told her she would just have to think of them as being carved out of alabaster!! I don't think she was convinced! Oh well - live and learn!!! It was still fun.

No comments: