Monday, January 07, 2008

Policies, politics and frustrations!

In “Library World” especially in the academic realm, it is well known how we continually struggle with ‘the powers that be’ in trying to get accomplished what we see as a need in the library – whether it is who has the final say in what is bought for the collection, to the need for changes in facilities, to recognizing the level of work library staff people do (whether professional or paraprofessional) compared to other office workers in other departments.

Such was the case recently here. I lost my cataloger of over 2 years to a better paying job. She was finally worth her salt but, alas she was gone! She is a divorcee and is therefore the only source of income for her household-of-one. In preparing to hire a replacement, I was attempting to convince folks the need to pay a cataloger more than just an entry level amount. On top of the convincing task I had, we are also a private, small institution therefore our pay scale is low anyway. When I discussed this with my academic dean, he asked me to do some research with other like institutions and report back to him. This was also broadened to include my need to replace my circulation supervisor that quit last August. The research was done and handed in.

In the meantime, the dean has had his own world events to deal with which ended up increasing his load this semester, not to mention the stress. Now throw Christmas vacation in the mix.

I found someone to hire last week and went back to him for a decision. We came up with a dollar amount and I then was given the task of talking to our business manager. I contacted him, gave him the information and was greeted immediately with “but that’s not our policy” – end of sentence! I told him I did not like being the ‘middle man’ and suggested that he get with the academic dean and discuss it with him. Two minutes later the phone rang and the b. m. said “it is $X.” Okay – I told him. That was such a quick response that I would be willing to “bet” there was no discussing about it between the two individuals. It was probably more of a one way conversation of this is how it’s going to be. Period.

Well, I tried. Life is too short. But I have an appointment with the a.d. later this week, and I know I will have his full attention. So, I am going to pursue this one more time. I don’t die easily. I know there are times you’ve got to buck the system. Policies are made to serve the people, not dictate. Me-thinks we have a dictator here.

No comments: