Monday, February 18, 2008

Loren Jewitt Adams

It is a fact of life that everyone at some point and time will leave this earth for eternity. It’s the nature of life as we move through it to make friends and as events come and go, lose touch with those same friends.

This is the case with our friend, Loren. Once I left for graduate school 8 years ago we did not keep in contact with him like we once had. I was thinking of him again recently off and on and decided to see if I could track down his phone number. I once had it memorized but I’ve not only “slept since then” – I’ve had long nights of doing homework when I didn’t sleep. So that bit of information escaped. I could find nothing.

I finally contacted the local library in the town where he lived and where I also worked before going to grad school. On Valentine’s Day I had a response. Loren had passed away a year and a half ago. This has really hit me rather hard. I was sad to hear of his passing but probably just as sad for not knowing about it at the time.

I was “there” when his mother died; we were “there” when he had to go to a VA hospital and home again; I was “there” when he remarried his 2d wife, and divorced her again. I saw him go through struggles with his boys and his step daughter and grandchildren. But we weren’t “there” when he died. My heart ached for him as I knew his burdens and heartache could be carried by our Lord, but yet he was “too educated” to need a saviour. He could not accept things by faith, he had to have an explanation for everything. I couldn’t outwit his academia.

He was a widower and a divorcee; retired military; and lived alone. He had two errant sons and a brother who didn’t know me. So I figured the only way I would hear about his passing would be if anyone at the library would think of me at the time. Understandably, they didn’t. I mused more than once whether or not I would ever hear about his passing whenever he would die. I was afraid I wouldn’t. I didn’t.

Loren had a huge wealth of knowledge when it came to genealogy and computers – both of which were a big help to me. He was influential in my getting our first computer. It took me 3 mos. to get my genealogy on. There were many a call to Loren for help – both over the phone and hands-on as well.

He was very involved in the genealogy community. He volunteered at the LDS church; he was a member of the local genealogy society as well as our state organization. He sponsored the local county website for the USGenWeb project. He taught classes both locally and statewide as well. He qualified and joined many other genealogical organizations as well. He was proud of his contribution in the military and witnessed some significant history during the 50’s and 60’s. But I think he was most proud of his Kentucky Colonel certificate he received as he used that in his email address: "kycollja".

The saddest part of this story is that he has probably passed into eternity without knowing the Lord Jesus as his saviour. And, I don’t think I was a very good witness in sharing with him the Good News he needed to hear.

Loren Jewitt Adams, born 5 September 1936, died 4 July 2006.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But at the same time, you don't know that he didn't during the time you lost touch, and you don't know that the way you lived your life (if nothing specific that you said) didn't plant a seed that later came to fruit when you were out of touch.

Not trying to be a pollyanna - just thinking that we need to think both ways - we need to be reminded that we do need to do our best to reach our lost friends and family, but at the same time, I don't think that God wants us beating ourselves up over it either.

penguinn said...

This is true. Point well taken! God is sovereign and He is in control!!!