Monday, February 25, 2008

New Cousin

Reading my friend's Genealogy Blog reminded me that a new "cousin" found me a couple of weeks ago.

The phone rang and the caller said "Are you (so-in-so) from Barber County, Kansas.?" Uh, well no, not really. I don't live there. "I found your name on a genealogy post regarding NG." Oh - yes, well, he's my husband's grandfather... BB, the caller did find who he was looking for. As it turned out he tried an old email address of mine that I don't have any more, so he went Internet searching and found my phone number.

It turns out we are not really related at all. He's not even related to my husband. Not technically, but he is connected. I hope you can follow this: Norman was married three times. His second wife is my husband's great-grandmother. Norman's first wife was Alice. Alice later married a Hart. Hart's grandfather had a brother, who was the ancestor (great-grandfather?) to my caller. Did you get that? Basically, the tree forked; went up and came back down again on the other side and rooted. Turns out he had information I didn't and vice versa. I also put him in touch with a half cousin of our's who would be connected to my caller, because she connects to Norman through the first wife, Alice.

I haven't heard from BB now for a week or more. We were emailing and mailing there quite heavy for a couple of weeks, but life has calmed back down to normal. It showed me, though, that I need to get my home computer situation turned around and upgraded. But I won't have time for that till later this summer. (See: "Announcement," my last post.) Boy - I miss doing my genealogy!!!

No comments: